Motivation can be hard to come by, especially in the face of challenges or difficult work. When you’re thinking about implementing that new idea, or starting that new company or beginning that new regimen — this is the new year, after all — it’s easy to talk yourself into procrastinating. Or worse, avoiding your goal altogether.
Thoughts are powerful, and negative thoughts can prevent you from achieving your goals. The flip side is that positive thoughts can be just as powerful. The next time you feel unmotivated, use any of these 50 positive thoughts to reenergize yourself. Really: They work!
1. I can do anything. It’s a simple phrase, but it helps to remind yourself — you really can do anything you set your mind to.
2. This is why I can. Instead of giving yourself reasons why you can’t do something, give yourself reasons why you can.
3. I deserve more. You deserve a better life — whether that means a better job, a healthier body or more money. Work for it.
4. It’s never too late. No matter how old you are or how many opportunities you’ve passed up before, it’s never too late to make a decision and get a fresh start.
5. There will always be challenges. No matter what you do in life, there will always be challenges — don’t let one set get the better of you.
6. There’s no “perfect” time. If you’re waiting for the perfect moment, forget about it — there’s no such thing.
7. Everything has to be earned. You can’t get anything in this life unless you work hard for it.
8. Action is a better regret than inaction. Making the wrong decision is always preferable to regretting never having done anything at all.
9. I don’t need anyone’s permission. If people think you’re crazy, so be it.
10. Feelings are the product of thoughts. If you’re scared or unsure, know that these are feelings generated by your thoughts; then you can control them
11. I’m in control of my own destiny. You can decide whom you want to become.
12. There is no pass or fail. Nobody is grading you. You can’t objectively “fail” at life unless you never try anything.
13. Boring decisions get boring results. Make an exciting decision.
14. The risk is worth it. Know that risks are real, but the potential benefits are worth them.
15. I’ll reward myself when I’m done. Even small rewards can be great motivators.
The power of positive thinking isn’t just an adage — it’s scientifically proven that positive thoughts (and the elimination of negative self-talk) can improve your mood, feelings, and performance. These thoughts should get you started doing whatever it is you need motivation to do. The rest is up to you.